When a hostile person(s) is actively causing death or serious bodily injury or the threat of imminent death or serious bodily injury to person(s) within a building on the Campus of SUNY Rockland, we recommend the following procedures be implemented.
- 1. RUN - If you think you can safely make it out of the building by running, then do so. If you decide to run, do not run in a straight line. Attempt to keep objects such as desks, cabinets, fixtures, etc. between you and the hostile person(s). Once outside, do not run in a straight line. Use trees, vehicles and other objects to block you from the view of the intruders. When away from the immediate area of danger, summon help any way you can, and warn others
- 2. HIDE - You can try to hide, but make sure it is a well-hidden space or you may be found as the intruder moves through the building.
- 3. FIGHT - Your last option if you are caught in an open area or classroom in a building may be to fight back. This is dangerous, but depending on the situation, this could be your last option. Use whatever is available to you in the immediate area and commit to incapacitate the attacker.
- If the person(s) are causing death or serious physical injury to others and you are Unable to run or hide, you may choose to play dead if other victims are around you.
- - If possible, faculty should immediately lock or barricade the students and themselves in the classroom and cover the windows or openings that have a direct line of sight into the hallway.
- - If communication is available, call Public Safety at 574-4911.
- - Do not sound the fire alarm. A fire alarm would signal the occupants to evacuate the building and thus place them in potential harm as they attempted to exit.
- - If possible, lock the windows and close blinds or curtains.
- - Stay away from the windows.
- - Turn off lights and all audio equipment.
- - Try to remain as calm as possible.
- - Keep everyone together.
- - Keep your classroom/office secure until Public Safety/Police arrive and give you directions.
- - If you are not in a classroom, try to get to a classroom or an office.
- - Stay out of open areas and be as quiet as possible.
- - If for some reason you are caught in an open area such as a hallway or lounge, you must decide what you are going to do. This is a very crucial time and it can possibly mean life or death.
Once Public Safety or the Police arrive, obey all commands. This may involve you being handcuffed, or keeping your hands in the air. This is done for safety reasons and once circumstances are evaluated, they will give you further directions to follow.
To download this tips, click here